Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Geekatana Movie Review: The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part


With the first LEGO movie out of the way it's time to do a review of sequel. I wasn't be able to watch this film on the first day as we intended to. which was February 14. I watched this film on the last day with the last screening time with my sister in a theater with only the two of us.


That was like very late at night compared to when I usually watch these movies. Just me and my sister in the theater that I can probably lay down and occupy five seats if I wanted to. It felt like a private screening and the two of us are the only ones in the theater. Kind of fun...and creepy...and really, really cold.



The Lego Movie 2: the Second Part takes place five years after the events of the first film and Emetts world of LEGO is now being invaded by Duplo Dolls making for a sort of Mad Max inspired set up as Duplo seem to have this affinity to wreck things than build them as most Lego's do. Even going to some extent to kidnap some of Emetts friends forcing him to go on this rescue mission of sorts.


The plot was far better than the first in some ways but tend to be all over the place by the end of the film as some plot holes aren't fully explained mostly the things involving a certain Dangervest Lego person. If the first film took a page from Toy Story this one took more than a few pages as there are similarities to this and that film in more ways than one.


The visuals are still good although the Duplo dolls aren't as appealing to me as the minifigs do but Ill throw that off as Im not being the target market for these things. The mini dolls looks nice and I kind of wished we got more of the hero side of both minifig and Lego. I mean would it kill the film if we saw a Harley Quinn minifig and mini doll kicking butt together for a few minutes. They are technically still both DC properties right?


With Disney now owning Starwars we didn't get much Starwars cameo in this film which is sad since most of the scenes do happen in this space interplanetary Lego setting. Wildstyle does make a nice nod to a certain Rey with her goggles as we see in the trailers. Also the human scenes in the film are much better acted and done. They don't feel wooden anymore.


Sadly a lot of the jokes didn't land and that banana joke was two joke too many. Also I feel the songs are far longer than it should be. This movie has an item that is specifically named "A Convenient plot device" even if that is a joke that's just lazy writing I think. And yet surprisingly I laughed at that scene more than I should.


So is this a bad film? No. is it better than the first? Not really. This movie has stuff that wasn't present in the first like a more deeper emotional story yet it lacks all the fun and excitement the first movie had since most of the best characters didn't have enough time to shine. Personally I'd love to see more of bad cop for starters.


This movie take stabs at Starwars, DC, Marvel and even other movies more than the first film whenever it can without crossing the line. It did took me a while to get that the Raptor trainer and galaxy defending occupation backstory is a stab at Chris Pratt being in Guardians of the Galaxy and Jurassic World. Also if I start looking for Sweet Mayhem mini doll at toy stores later I can always blame this film on it.


Overall the Lego Movie 2: The Second Part has its good and bad parts. Surprisingly the good parts are enough for me to ignore a lot of the bad ones. This movie has more feels and has a better plot twist than the first one although it went all over the place near the end of the third act. Still if you enjoy the first Lego film you will definitely enjoy this one.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Nikke: Goddess of Victory - Gun wielding Waifu vs Anime Terminators

Goddess of Victory: Nikke  is a third-person sci-fi themed railgun style shooter game developed by Shift Up and is published by Level Infini...