Saturday, December 22, 2018

My Top 12 Movies of 2018


With the review for Aquaman pretty much wrapping up my 2018 I want-to-see movie list I guess it's time for me to move into other things namely making My Top Movies list. This is a list of the movies I watched this year so Creed II or A Star Is Born won't be making the list since I cannot rank something I haven't watched. So many great movies that came out this year it's tough to make the list.


There is like 8 superhero movies that came out this year alone and that's enough to make their own top list somewhere. So much great films that I've decided to make a Top 12 list instead of a Top 10 list instead.


12 Teen Titans Go to the Movies


I'm a big fan of the original Teen Titans and much less of Teen Titans Go but this film blew my expectations this year. It has great meta humor, It rips and makes fun of DC Movies, Marvel and enough references that it's like a Deadpool movie for kids. I gave this movie a high score as its one of the best animated kids movies for me. It also has two Stan Lee cameos.


11 Pacific Rim: Uprising


The original Pacific Rim will always be my favorite but darn this movie was heck of a lot of fun. Sure the acting was cheesy and the plot rips off from your Saturday morning super sentai shows and mecha anime but this movie is about big giant freaking robots going against big giant robots and monsters and it delivers on that. I gave it a high score but its not a great movie but for a mecha movie it's one of the best out there.


10 Solo: A Starwars Story


Alden is no Harrison Ford but watching this film Alden's own version of Han Solo kind of grows on you. This is a personal story of the fun loving smuggler in his early years and I think the film gave fans just that. This films takes homage to Starwars roots about high adventure in a galaxy far far away. The boycott this film got isn't even cause this film is bad but of fans hate on another Starwars film and I think deserve more praise than it got.


9 Ant Man and the Wasp


Although the first Ant man film is still is my favorite this movie was a decent follow up to the first movie. The action sequences was tight and it's nice to see Wasp in action. Sure the plot is cheesy but this is a movie about a superhero that changes size and talks to ants the point they even got this movie to work was an accomplishment on its own.


8 Incredibles 2



The much long awaited sequel to first Incredibles movie might have took a long time before it finally got into film but I think the wait is well worth it as the sequel is as fun and entertaining as the first one. Great action, great comedy, great characters the only flaw I got from this film is its predictable villain. Still this is a superhero movies for kids and have enough content that even mature audiences can enjoy.


7 Deadpool 2


Deadpool 2 for me is even better than the first Deadpool film. Sure the first one has an origin story but Deadpool 2 doubles down on everything else that made the first film great. Double the action, double the meta and double the humor. What Deadpool 2 did better was the plot I feel the second film has a better story structure and your more invested and attached on the characters in this than in the first film.


6 Ralph Breaks the Internet


Ralph Breaks the Internet explores the friendship of Ralph and Venallope. The way the movie present these factors a little close to the nose makes the film all too real for a lot of folks. Add in that this is an entertaining movie with Easter egg references and enough Disney cameo you can swing a stick at and still tell a touching story is always a win in my book.


5 Ready Player One


Ready Player One is a film based on a book with the same name. The book was a story filled to the neck with culture references that its near impossible to put this to film and it took nothing short but the visionary director Steven Spielberg to do it. References and characters from games, sci-fi, movies, comics fill this film. The amount of culture references in this film is impressive you need a pause button to see them all. This film also improves on the book both in story and visuals.


4 Aquaman


I gave this film a passing score since I feel it can improve some more but I'm putting this film at number 4 on my list cause I feel this film deserves more praise as this film is one of the better DC films next to the Dark Knight. Sure the film is mostly cgi and the story is cheesy and corny but this is a film of a superhero who talks to fish so you can't make an Aquaman film any other way. Momoa is made for the role of Aquaman I have yet to see anyone better for the role.


3 Black Panther


Black Panther is a fun film. Sure there's probably some cgi issues at the third act but overall the film was a solid one. The fact that this films tackles some serious issues plaguing society today mostly the issue of color. The visuals, the epicness, the cinematography is just good. Its not my most favorite movie of the year but the fact that its considered for an Oscar nomination speaks greatly for this film.


2 Spider-man Into the Spider-Verse


Spider-man movies are mostly a hit and miss but Spider-man Into the Spider-verse hit so many things right that this and my number one movie pick for 2018 could easily tie for first place. An awesome film from the visual and the action. It has comedy, action, drama, references. It has so many characters and enough back story to make it work. This also has the best Stan Lee cameo and after credit scene put to film in my opinion.


1 Avengers infinity War


Avengers Infinity War is a culmination of 10 years of movie back story coming together. It has so many characters in it that the movie shouldn't have worked as well as it did. The movie achieved juggling three story plots that eventually comes together at the end of the film. This film took everyone into an emotional roller coaster ride and left viewers wanting more. Not put this in the number one spot would ignore the impact of this film to a lot of people including myself.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Nikke: Goddess of Victory - Gun wielding Waifu vs Anime Terminators

Goddess of Victory: Nikke  is a third-person sci-fi themed railgun style shooter game developed by Shift Up and is published by Level Infini...