Thursday, June 14, 2018

Resident Evil 2 Remake Gameplay Demo Reaction


This will be my reaction on the new Resident Evil Remake Gameplay Demo that came out of E3. I've been following news about this for a while and I've written an article about it on the Blog some time back. In fact you can check said post hereThere was a lot of rumors about Resident Evil 2 remake for a while. It's probably one of the most demanded remake since they launched that remake of the first Resident Evil some years back.


I'm going to post a warning right here and now. This game is filled with graphic violence and gore. You have been warned. So if that isn't to your taste I suggest you skip this one.



First off I'd like to add that I suck at playing horror games but I've always been a fan of the Resident Evil series. I've played every RE title I can get my hands on and so far I've the first Resident Evil all the way up to Resident Evil 5. My character died more times than I can count. I hate it but I love it at the same time.


Resident Evil 2 is my favorite since it's what made me a true fan of the series so you can bet I'm super excited that the RE2 Remake is finally happening. Sadly the demo they showed only has Leon as a playable character for now although they did show Claire in the game trailer along with some other RE 2 characters


First off the game is dark, very dark. You can tell off the bat that they are using the RE Engine that they used on Resident Evil 7 on this one.


If you played RE 7 you will know the similarities in the graphic textures to that game to this RE 2 remake just by looking at the textures on the wall and the way blood is presented.


They spare no expense in making a very creepy atmosphere which a step up in the right direction when you remember how bright and well lit Resident Evil 2 was. Leon even brandishes a flashlight when it gets too dark. Yes its probably something Silent Hill is famous for but a flashlight is a flashlight.


Unlike Resident Evil 7 however the gameplay on this one is done like Resident Evil 4 with a sort of behind the back over the shoulder perspective. So it's more likely like Resident Evil 4 with RE 7 graphics which is by far the best way to go since its the best of both games.


I like how the game reminds you that Leon is still a rookie in this game. He gives out certain dialogue when taking down zombies that shows how much of a noob he still is. He might be giving spinning kicks and doing suplex city in future RE titles but in here he's just the new guy.


Leon seems to move a tad slow though. And even when running you can hear him grunting and catching his breath. Will that play a certain effect in the gameplay when the game finally came out is all speculations at this moment. And a move that can hurt or improve the game depending on how Capcom play their cards.
  

Zombies are more detailed too in fact these are probably the most detailed zombie I've ever seen in an RE game. You can see their eye balls hangout when you shoot a part of their head off, along with other brain matter. And they don't go down easily too since headshot don't one hit kill these things anymore in this game.


The usual Resident Evil elements are still there with puzzles, using herbs and mixing gun powder. The new knife game mechanic is a nice touch although probably takes time to getting used to since you need to pick up the nice from the dead zombie Leon used it on after he stabs it which is going to be a chore if you're up against multiple zombies.


The game is still Resident Evil 2 with a lot of new elements. The game interface is different, the maps look the same yet totally different. If you're used to playing Resident Evil 2 you can throw your knowledge of the maps and item location out the window since nearly everything is done differently. Even the cutscenes are done in another way as well.


Familiar areas will be a treat for fans that have played Resident Evil fans while at the same time offering an almost entirely new game to explore. Better graphics and improved gameplay. New players will have no trouble playing this game since you don't need to play any RE title to enjoy this game and much of the needed information is already in the game itself.


The only bad thing I can see from the Demo is how the character controls like a tank and how the character moves slower compared to the later RE titles. But I guess this is still a Demo and I'm sure they will fix this issue before the game releases. So excited to get my hand on this when it hits gaming shelves.


Aside from the minor issue with the controls I can say this game is everything fans wanted in a Resident Evil Remake. It has enough nostalgia and familiar elements for fans and hardcore players of the series while at the same time giving a lot of new stuff. The things present in just the demo gameplay alone is nearly enough to make this game of the year material.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Nikke: Goddess of Victory - Gun wielding Waifu vs Anime Terminators

Goddess of Victory: Nikke  is a third-person sci-fi themed railgun style shooter game developed by Shift Up and is published by Level Infini...