Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Starwars the Last Jedi Movie Review

As the lights dim and the Starwars logo flashes on screen I heard the crowd applauded and cheered. There is definitely a lot of hype and expectations from fans and casual audiences alike for this movie. Will it be like Empire Strikes Back? Will Rey and Kylo switch sides? The internet is filled with fan theories so much that I don't really know what to expect going in to this movie. And as the Starwars scroll starts, all that I'm certain is that the movie theater is very cold and I'm still eating popcorn.

photo from: imdb.com

Star Wars The Last Jedi was written and directed by Rian Johnson. The film is produced by Lucas films, and distributed by Walt Disney. It stars Mark HamillCarrie FisherAdam DriverDaisy RidleyJohn BoyegaOscar IsaacAndy SerkisLupita Nyong'oDomhnall GleesonAnthony Daniels, and Gwendoline Christie in returning roles, and Kelly Marie TranLaura Dern, and Benicio del Toro joining the cast.


photo from: imdb.com

Visually the movie is very impressive I find myself immediately immersed on how grand the scale of the battles are and just how high are the stakes in this movie. Not a single piece of lighting effect was wasted. There are times that I'd look at a certain scene and think to my myself "I want that as a wallpaper for my laptop" and it happens a lot for me in this movie.

photo from: imdb.com

The lightsaber choreography is probably one of the best scenes for me. It feels more grounded and realistic. Sure they still use the Force but when it comes down to the gritty stuff, it's the good kind of stuff. The best way to describe it is that the producers and directors watched some really good samurai movies and used those ideas and replaced the katana blades with lightsabers. It was handled so well that you can see each swing or parry in the encounter. It's one of those moments that I want a rewind button just to see it a couple more times just to soak in the awesomeness.

photo from: imdb.com

I cheered, I got mad, I laughed, and I got scared. Very few movies could get a rollercoaster of emotions in one film, specially rare for a sci-fi movie set in outer space. This movie surprisingly delivers in all of that. I suddenly find myself caring for characters that I've only seen in the movie for only a few minutes. Lines have been crossed and had been crossed again as this movie shows a spectrum of ideals. The jokes came out natural and appropriate for each scene without sounding forced. Although some will admit not all of the jokes landed.

photo from: imdb.com

As for character development goes it's more centered mostly on Rey and Kylo but a lot of the characters get to shine in their own right. Luke did his thing, Leia did her thing and it all blends seamlessly as a whole narrative. Sure some of the characters have less screen time than some and part of me even wished they did have more screen time but in the time each character are shown in the movie they shine. Every major and side character played their role in this movie to near perfection. The chemistry between characters worked. It worked whether these characters are agreeing on something or not. Even the scenes with Finn and Rose that I find the least important holds a certain story arch many Starwars fan would love to dissect in days to come...or at the least hopefully until we get to see Episode IX in the big screen.

photo from: imdb.com

The only minor fault for this movie is that one of its character isn't as powerful as they show said character to be. I don't know if it's done intentionally but I feel they could have made this character more of a threat. It's like Mandarin from Ironman 3 where there's this big evil guy on TV, only to find out he is just an actor with no powers at all. So much hype for the Starwars movie and yet so little was actually there. Maybe we can get more when the uncut version or DVD is officially released.

photo from: imdb.com


Starwars the Last Jedi was a movie with a lot of expectations riding on its shoulders and I'm happy to say it blew up a lot of them with flying colors and then some. It was a Starwars being Starwars while bringing something fresh and uniquely original at the same time. It showed us a new side of the Force that we didn't know existed, that hardcore fans would love to explore in the future.. The movie was two and a half hours long and coming out of that movie with an empty bag popcorn in my hand I knew I wanted more. It's a passing of the torch type of tale and delightedly showed more than what it set up to do. This is a Starwars movie, and I dare say a Starwars movie done right.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Nikke: Goddess of Victory - Gun wielding Waifu vs Anime Terminators

Goddess of Victory: Nikke  is a third-person sci-fi themed railgun style shooter game developed by Shift Up and is published by Level Infini...