Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Geekatana Food Review: Bad Bird


Me and my sister just finished watching a movie and we were looking for a place to have dinner together. She wanted to try something new than our usual so after a bit of looking around we came upon Bad Bird.


I have never heard of it until now but my sister seem to know about it. She's more of a foodie than I am so its not that surprising. Since I'm a sucker for chicken I've agreed to give it a go as well.




I don't really know what to expect when we entered the Bar Bird. The restaurant interior has a mix of Italian and American by design. The menu however was a mix of japanese, korean and American with fries, grilled beef, yakiniku and glazed chicken.


Bad Bird is famous for their umami chicken and you can also taste this rich savory flavor in other dishes beside their chicken. The black honey glazed chicken wing was good and taste a lot like those korean glazed chicken only this one is a bit more flavorful. The dirty rice that goes with the chicken wings make for a great combination.


Umami is best described as that rich flavor usually present in broth. The name is japan in origin and is a way to bring out that savory flavor in meal. It is neither salty, sweet or bitter. it is often considered as the fifth flavor. Its commonly found in most chicken, beef or pork by combining them with other food or flavors. Most common umami is the bacon and cheese.


I was craving some fries so I ordered the six piece Wings and Fries for 280 pesos and with any order that is 250 pesos and above I get to have rice to go with the order for free. And after a short inquiry with the waiter I found out that said rice has an unlimited refill. So I got six chicken wings, fries and unlimited rice for 280 pesos. That's the best deal I got for a six piece wing ever. My sister has some pork belly and we had some homebrew ice tea and mango rice milk.


The chicken was pretty good and that unlimited rice was a good deal as you will probably need more than one serving of rice for those things. And the dirty rice that goes along with the wings is good enough to eat on its own kind of like onigiri. Now I know why the dirty rice is served as unlimited. In fact if you're going to order any meat dish I'd probably suggest getting some dirty rice to go with it.


The fries is sort of disappointing as its not as flavorful as I expected. Guess Bad Bird has yet to nail their fries yet. I wanted to give it a better review but when you tasted nearly every chicken and fries in nearly every major restaurant you tend to be really picky. But hey there is always room for improvement right.


Sadly as chicken goes Bad Bird doesn't stand out much compared to other chicken restaurant. It has yet to achieve its uniqueness in the river of chicken flavors. The price is also a bit steep for a chicken restaurant and except for their chicken wings most folks can probably get bigger servings of chicken elsewhere.


Overall Bad Bird is a good restaurant with flavorful umami flavor that is a great or ok depending on the flavor and side dish you ordered while you are there. The price is a bit high for a fast food chicken restaurant and the serving could use some improvement. I'd recommend this to anyone who wants to try something different.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Nikke: Goddess of Victory - Gun wielding Waifu vs Anime Terminators

Goddess of Victory: Nikke  is a third-person sci-fi themed railgun style shooter game developed by Shift Up and is published by Level Infini...