Monday, July 2, 2018

Ant Man (2015) Movie Review


I'm no fan of Ant man and the Wasp since they are probably some of the more unimpressive characters in the Avengers and the Marvel universe for me. Sure the ability to shrink and grow is all cool but after watching the movie Honey I Shrunk the Kids, Inner Space and probably half a dozen other movies the concept of an Ant Man sort of loses its appeal. In fact I don't like the movie so much that I never bothered to watch it on TV when it finally aired. It's just one of those MCU movies that I just skipped.


A lot of folks told me it was good but I was still skeptical and since Ant man and the Wasp is going to hit theaters tomorrow I've decided to watch the first Ant man (2015) movie just to add it on my Marvel movie review list. Safe to say my expectations are really low for this film.



And now as I write this review roughly an hour after watching the film on DVD I'm happy to say that the movie blew a lot of my expectations. Sure the concept is still over used but the way they tell the story is really fresh and entertaining. The movie was almost two hours long but I wasn't bored from beginning to end.


One of the movies best points is its character and narrative. The character of Scott Lang a crook just out of prison trying to turn in a new leaf for her daughter and the cast of other characters is what makes this film stand out. The banter between Scott and Hank, the ones between Scott and his three Wombat buddies was gold.


The plot was nothing new to movies but its very well executed that you really don't mind at all. The film was the usual heist film but with super powered suits and lots of insects. It was predictable but in an enjoyable way thanks to great dialogue and acting. The film was funny, serious, heartwarming, exciting when it needed to be. The story was personal and it works.


The cinematic and execution of the scenes are nicely done. The action slows down when a big fight scene is in play so you won't get confused on what's going on specially when there's a lot of stuff going on in the screen namely the ones involving Ant man and his army of insects. There are times that I'd rewind the DVD just to watch a certain scene again just to marvel (<--- see what I did there) at it once more. Although one or two short scene felt like its bad CGI.


My only real complaint on this film is that some characters feels like they are just fillers, mostly on the villain side of the film where they introduce this supposed evil character only to make him like another cannon fodder for the movie as they introduced the real villain. Also the main antagonist of the film is rather weak for me although he did a decent job of moving the plot along...he is no Loki or Thanos. Just your typical bad guy of the week.


So as closure I'll say Ant man is a really good film despite having a used plot. It has a lot of great characters and scenes. It's not a film you want to watch since it adds very little to the MCU movie storyline as a whole aside from introducing Ant man and how he fits in the next movie MCU line. It is however a really good film and something I'll greatly recommend for fans of the MCU films or just want to watch a great movie.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Nikke: Goddess of Victory - Gun wielding Waifu vs Anime Terminators

Goddess of Victory: Nikke  is a third-person sci-fi themed railgun style shooter game developed by Shift Up and is published by Level Infini...