Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Teen Titans Go to the Movies Movie Review

To start things up I'd like to point out that I'm a fan of the original Teen Titans TV Series but not so much Teen Titans Go. I feel that the original Teen Titans have the right mix of action, comedy and storytelling elements I'd want in a cartoon. Teen Titans Go although a decent cartoon onto itself leans way too much on the comedic side for my taste thus losing much of the twist and deep storytelling portion that made the first series standout.


And it doesn't help either that the trailer just feels like a typical Teen Titans Go episode stretched to an hour and a half. So you can easily tell when me and my sister suddenly decided to watch Teen Titans Go to the Movies on opening day my expectations isn't all that high.




At base form Teen Titans Go to the Movies was your typical Teen Titans Go mix. Cartoony chibi style cartoon on the big screen. They didn't even bother to render the film in 3d. But the art style sort of grows on you and after fifteen minutes in I didn't mind that its cartoony or chibi. And art style wise that's probably one of few negatives I can find in this movie.


The devil is in the detail as they say and Teen Titans Go to the Movies is an example of that. What this movie lacks in visual appeal it more than makes up for it in everything else. Right from the few minutes of the opening right to the credits this movie is a ride any fan of Teen Titans will enjoy. There was never a dull boring moment.


The best way to describe this movie is it's basically a Deadpool movie without the swearing and the gore and that doubles down on the puns, comedy and fourth wall breaks. A proverbial Teen Titans Go version of the Lego batman. This movie makes references, jabs and puns of nearly everything comic related from both Marvel and DC side of the spectrum. The amount of cameo characters they show in this film is impressive as well. That special cameo alone is well worth the price of admission in my opinion.


The character development was well done too and if you watched the original Teen Titans series this will be more relevant. The movie strikes a great balance of being comedic yet isn't afraid to pull at the heart strings of fans of the series when the time calls for it. A rare feat considering this is still a Teen Titans Go film. Something the first Teen Titans series was good at.


Action was handled well and not over the top although it's sort of takes time getting used to seeing Slade doing funny monologue but I guess the trailer was already a hint. I'm glad they show Raven as pretty much the OP character that she is in this film without pulling all the stops. I was laughing so hard each time they mentioned the name Slade in the film. If you watched the film you will know what I mean. I wouldn't be surprised if it turned into an internet meme.


The music was great too. Sure this movie being a comedy has it's song and dance bit but it just cements the concept and theme of the film even more. The choice of music and soundtrack used is so spot on that I was smiling and jumping at my seat when they played it. It's like watching Ready Player One all over again. The new Teen Titans Go mix they used in this film is catchy.


Teen Titans Go to the Movies is one fun enjoyable movie and something I wouldn't mind watching again or owning the DVD when it comes out. It's a movie I'd easily recommend to any fan of superhero movies be it you are a Marvel or DC Fan. It's predictable but I guarantee you will find something good about this film regardless. It's truly an excellent movie from beginning to end.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Nikke: Goddess of Victory - Gun wielding Waifu vs Anime Terminators

Goddess of Victory: Nikke  is a third-person sci-fi themed railgun style shooter game developed by Shift Up and is published by Level Infini...